Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, November 11, 2013

Voice Lesson #22

I am still having trouble with "nerves". I am getting better, but it's still difficult for me to sing at my lessons, the same way I do at home. Not that what I do at home is great, but it is certainly, usually better. I told my teacher that it's got nothing to do with her, and that it wouldn't matter who was sitting there, which is true. I'm getting better, though. Today we worked and focused on breathing and trying to get in and stay in the head voice..also the shape of the mouth. What was good is that when we started working on songs, I showed some improvement when my teacher had me try different things. One thing was, she had me do some physical activity while we singing. We've done this many times before, and it usually, if not always makes a difference. It helps keep the breath moving and also helps to keep my mind off the technical. Just sort of keeps me loose. So that was a good thing! I was instructed to practice this way all week. We also tried something interesting.. She had me sit in a chair and sing as if I was talking to someone. It made a pretty big difference... she was happy, I was happy! It was a good vocal moment. This also helps to keep the mind off the technical. She mentioned to me that she knows I work hard on all the technical aspects, but sometimes it's good to not think about them so much, and that way, it helps me to relax so that what my body has learned, it can do on it's own without me getting in the way. Despite the fact that I get a case of "nerves" at my lessons, I am so thankful for my teacher. It is a blessing for me to be taught by her. She is brilliant at what she does, has an amazing voice, and much knowledge and patience. I am learning so much, and as time goes on, I will get better and better, and more and more comfortable with the technique, which will allow me to show her what she is teaching me. It's all a journey and a process, and I am in it for the long haul. My husband is a huge blessing to me, too. Without his support and encouragement, and apparent hearing issues, I could not do this. I know he loves me more than I realize..and Jesus loves me much more than that! I am grateful and humbled by all that God has given me... Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment