Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Voice Lesson #23

Today was a great lesson! We talked about and worked on some different issues, one being the mixed voice, which I have trouble with. I tend to want to be head or chest, but often times, I have to be mixed and my throat won't allow it. My teacher said that's a good thing...it shows my brain and throat are struggling with what to do, which is better than being all chest voice. She assured me I would get past it. We worked on my "EE" vowels, too, though all of my vowels need work. We also talked a little bit about how stress can greatly affect a singing voice. It can really hinder the technique. I noticed this all last week.. I was having so much trouble with a closed and tight throat...yep, stress can do that. Also, we started a new song, a really beautiful song by John Jacob Niles. I'm hoping I can do a good job with it. There is so much to work on! Now, one of the interesting things is that my teacher mentioned to me about a competition coming up early next year. It's with a teacher's organization, and they have it for kids and adults. Now, she didn't say it, but my teacher and I both know I will not do very well at this, if I decide to go, but I have been around her long enough to know that there is always method to her madness. I will talk with her about it and find out what the potential goal is. I think I may know what it is, but either way, I think it would good for me. The way it's done is the student, the accompanist, and the judge are the only three in the room, and you are given points on your performance. Of course, my teacher would accompany me. As much as the whole idea of being judged on my classical technique (or lack of), terrifies me, I do think it would be good for me to do it. We'll see.. I just think a conversation about it, is in order :) Oh, I do love this journey, as difficult as it is. I thank God for it, and for the people I am surrounded by, who encourage and support me in it. Praise Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment