Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, July 22, 2013

Voice Lesson #8

Today was lesson #8..Monday. My last lesson was last Wednesday, so I only had a few days to practice and it showed! Though I have made some improvements since I began, in May, I am still struggling with all the same issues. Tension in the throat being a major player! I just can't seem to shake it! I am also having trouble keeping my chest voice out of the picture. I guess I'm just having trouble, all the way around, with staying out of my own way. I am still trying to control the sound, which is something I should not be doing. And though I know I shouldn't do it, I can't seem to stop myself from doing it. It's as if parts of me have a mind of their own. Though, trust me, I realize that I am in control of every aspect of my singing, it's just a matter of making my body realize that! Some things were good today, though..I wasn't frustrated with everything. The Passaggio area is still difficult to maneuver but beginning a song last week with a higher tessitura seems to make a bit of a difference with the Passaggio area. Like I said though, I had only a few days of practice between lessons, so maybe next week will be better. My teacher also showed me two new songs that I will begin learning this week..so that will be five songs we're working on. Three of them are basically for the sake of exercise, and the two newest, for the sake of the song. The other thing is that I need to concentrate more on my breath support. With so much to think about, I tend to let my breathing go..which I cannot do...that is NOT an option! I need to learn to just RELAX. I seem to do better when I am practicing at home, but at my lessons, I seem to tense up more. I guess it's a bit of nervousness because I want to do well for my teacher..I want her to see improvement, so.... I tense up and everything comes out worse. But even at home there is tension. I tell myself, "don't do that"..but I do it anyway. I can get frustrated with myself, for sure, but then there are times where I think, hmmmm, that wasn't too bad. It's all just part of learning and practicing, and failing and improving. It's a journey that is difficult for now, but it won't always be. Like my teacher said, sometimes you can stay in the same spot for a long time, and just when you think you will never improve or get passed the difficulty, YOU DO! Just like that, you do! I told her today, that it seems as if these songs we're working on, are standing up to me and challenging me...but I told her, I WILL WIN! I was having difficulty with a particular note, today..an f#..I could hit it better at home, but just couldn't do it today. I told her, "I know I can hit that note...she said, "I know you can hit it, too!". And that is the gist of this entire journey....we both know that I can do it and I WILL..it's just getting there. With Jesus and a brilliant teacher,(who is also a class act) I can't fail! I want to thank her for having so much patience with me! I want to say thank you also, to my awesome husband, Jeff.. without his amazing support and encouragement, none of this would be possible! He listens to me practice everyday and hasn't once asked for earplugs..in fact, he says I sound great! THAT, my friends, is love..and possibly a hearing issue..hehe! I love you, Bup! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment