Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, September 23, 2013

Voice lesson #16

A good lesson, today! I believe I am one tiny step closer to being able to sing at my lesson like I know I can at home, during practice..this is a good thing! Let me say this, too.. I have been working by myself for the past month or so, and I have been weighed down by stress. My husband and I used to work together, everyday. We did this for 8 years. However, now that I am on my won, work wise, I have plenty of time to listen to my lesson while I am driving. This has proven to be a very good thing! I normally listen to it at the gym and then again when I practice, but now I can listen up to 5 times day! I find that it is not only good to listen to it so much, but it has been a wonderful escape for me, from the stress. I have had a headache for the past week..a nonstop headache. Today though, when I got to my lesson, I noticed the headache disappear for that hour...nice! Voice, for me, is definitely a stress reliever. It's a great escape from the frustrations of the "day to day"..just as BBQ is for my husband. Voice and BBQ, who would've thought it? And even though we are both continually striving to become better and better at what we love to do, even the learning and failing is enjoyable...that's when you know, that what you are doing, is what you should be doing! So, getting back to the lesson..I have a lot to work on, as usual, but I really believe that if I could sing at my lesson like I can at home, we would make great strides! I'm getting there! We started a new song today, and the beginning notes are LOW! This is a dangerous thing for me, because the lower the notes, the easier I perceive it to be, which equates to "lazy" for me..at least the potential is there! This will cause me to focus, though, and that is always a good thing! One of my biggest issues is still squeezing from the throat..trying to squeeze the vowels out. I'm still trying to break that habit...it is a doozy, but I WILL break it! I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me :) I also wanted to add in this post that not only do I love my lessons because of the learning and the singing, but my teacher is hilarious! She never fails to make me laugh! We are very serious about the lessons and they are work, but there is always a lot of laughter, too. I think laughter is a great sign...every great relationship has to include laughter. The only relationships that I have ever had that did not offer lots of laughter were the ones that were no good. Today, she had me in stitches over "rowing"..yes, rowing..and yes, it was singing related. Thank you, Jesus, for everything! A brilliant and hilarious teacher, a loving and hilarious husband, and a life that I am privileged to live for You! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment