Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, September 30, 2013

Voice Lesson #17

So, it's about 4 months now, that I've been taking voice lessons, and I sounded terrible today! That's ok though, because we talked about a lot of trouble areas and worked on them too. I had several questions from last week that we discussed, as well. I am still frustrated with myself because I practice all week and things are improving and sounding halfway decent, then I get to my lesson and everything shuts down. Try as I may, I can't seem to get anything to work. We were talking about breath support, today, and about how it is crucial to correct Classical Technique. I asked her, if she had to name one thing that is THE most important aspect of the technique, would it be breath support?...she said, yes! I have figured this out, this past week, and wanted to confirm what I thought. I told her that my breath support goes out the window when I get to my lesson, but at home, it's MUCH better..it's there! She told me she wants me to record some of my practicing because she wants to hear what I am doing at home.. I said, absolutely, I will! I want her to hear it too! I still believe it's completely a psychological barrier, I have. I tried today, on my way to my lesson, to sing, to sort of get myself in the frame of mind of, "I can do this, today", and it's as if everything closed up. Then, as soon as I left, I tried again, and it worked. The good news, however, is that everything she is teaching me IS working! I am definitely getting it..I just want her to hear it, too!! So, despite the fact that I did not sound good today, it was still a great lesson, as they are every week, because they are LESSONS.. I am learning! I am also improving, even if it doesn't show when I am there. One of these days it will!! One day I will go to my lesson and my teacher will be stunned at what I am capable of..considering what she has to listen to every week, with me. All of my trouble zones are improving as the weeks go on, though I still have a very, very long way to go. I am again, so thankful to God for bringing me to my teacher, for the talent and ability for teaching that He has given her, as well as her amazing and beautiful voice..but also for the all around wonderful person that she is. I thank Him also, for my incredible husband, because without his support and encouragement, I would have a much more difficult time with all of this..and I thank him for the love that he has for me, which I am certainly not deserving of...and even more, I am not deserving of the love that Jesus has for me. It's a love that I cannot begin to understand. Thank, Lord, for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment