Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, October 28, 2013

Voice Lesson # 20

Well, today My teacher and I spent some time discussing my TMJ, which is a problem with the jaw. Stress makes it that much worse.. and I've been under a lot of stress. I brought with me an excerpt from a blog I found, concerning TMJ and classical voice. I believe it was written by a voice teacher. She mentioned some of the problems it can cause a classical singer or student of classical voice. I seem to have most of those problems. Some of which are trouble with low and high notes, closed throat, tongue issues which create larynx problems, slow progress, etc..So, we discussed it a bit and then began doing vocal exercises, as usual, but the TMJ topic kept coming up. Then we actually began looking up the subject in some books on classical voice, and we found it. Yes, TMJ does cause problems. Most people are not aware of the extent of those problems, though. I began telling my teacher the issues I have that are not vocal involved, and she was surprised at how long the list of symptoms is... Most people would be. Aside from jaw pain and clicking and popping, it can cause ear pain, hearing issues, sinus problems, neck and shoulder pain, headaches, eye pain and pressure, numbness in the arms and hands, teeth pain, sore throats...and the list goes on and on! I have most of the symptoms. So, I told my teacher that I was going to start at my dentist, and go from there. She is going to consult her chiropractor for me. I already have a bite guard, but it is not enough. So, in the mean time, we are going to start working on songs that will be less aggravating to the jaw, (i.e. lower ranges) until we find out how to resolve this issue..or at least make it better. My jaw actually hurts as I type this. It's no fun, but I thank God for the struggles, because it will make the victories all that much sweeter! Thank you Lord Jesus for all the difficulties I am facing with Voice and for a teacher who is interested! Thank you Jesus, too, for my amazing husband and our precious little family. All are a huge blessing that I do not deserve, but sure do appreciate! Glory to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment