Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, October 14, 2013

Voice Lesson #18

Ok, so We're back, after a week off. Today my teacher and I talked a lot about different issues, including my mental block, which makes me sort of shut down, physically, at my lessons. It was great to discuss it with her. As we talked, I realized, that among other things, It must be, to some degree, a control issue, or lack of control. She agreed. See, I've been singing in front of people my whole life..since grammar school, with no problem. This however, because it's out of my comfort zone, I feel like I don't have control over it..which makes me shut down. I told her, "I HAVE to get over this!". she said, very calmly and confidently, with a smile on her face, "you will". So we moved on to warm ups, hitting trouble areas, as usual. Then, during more conversation, I told her how this past week, the "movement of the breath" hit me..how it works. This equates to breath support. This was a a huge revelation for me, and I feel like it took my singing to another level. I was excited about this and so was she! At my last lesson she asked me to record my practice so she could hear it...so she could hear what she doesn't get to hear at my lessons! I recorded some practice and sent it to her email. Turns out the link didn't want to work..so, I'll re-do it and send it a different way. I really want her to hear what I'm REALLY doing! She NEEDS to hear it! We also talked, at our last lesson, about how a lot of voice teachers stop getting on their students about different issues because they don't want to "nag" the students...I told her today, Please, stay on me about everything! Hearing the same things over and over are a huge help for me! She said, "Oh, I will!". All in all, it was a great lesson, and with each lesson I'm one step closer to improvement! I really love singing, making music, learning, and my lessons..but most of all I love Jesus and thank Him all the time, for the opportunity to do all of it! My teacher and I got to talking about stress, and different ways to deal with it. We got to talking about meditation..I said, the best meditation for me, is reading my bible...she said, yes, and prayer! Praise Jesus..He IS the greatest stress relief there is! Jesus said, in Matthew 11:28-30.."Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light". Again, thank you to my husband for his unending support and to my teacher for her extreme patience with me! hehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment