Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Voice Lesson #24

So, I'm on the back end of a cold, and had to miss last weeks lesson because of said cold. I really didn't think my singing would go very well this week but to my surprise I had some pretty good moments. My songs didn't go too well, but some of my exercises were not bad. I'm really trying to do better at my lessons, and get over my mental block..it IS getting better, praise God! Yesterday, we worked a bit on the mixed voice, which I have been having a lot of trouble with. It's the Passaggio area. It's as if my muscles do not want to do what I want them to do...they have sort of a mind of their own, but I am working on getting past that. My teacher assures me, I will. We also worked on my top a bit..well, not my very top, but close. The cold was a bit of a hindrance. We have one more lesson before Christmas break and then, when we come back, we will begin working on the songs for the NFMC festival. It's sort of a competition against yourself. The student sings in a room, before a judge. The only people in the room are the accompanist, the student, and the judge. The judge then gives you a rating on your performance. You have to sing two songs from a given list. You're given points over a period of time, (if you continue to participate) which can lead to a trophy. My teacher asked me if I would be interested in doing this and after thinking about it, I thought it would be a good thing for me to do, though I am completely terrified by the idea! So, once we come back from Christmas break, we'll have a month to prepare. Thankfully, my teacher will accompany me on piano. I really have to get my head straight, and remind myself that I can do this. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Though, the thought of singing before a judge in order to be given a rating, really makes me nervous, I'm actually sort of looking forward to it. For most of my life I sang in bands, performing in bars and clubs all around town, and the Gulf Coast. I was and still am friends with plenty of musicians. However, this is a whole different ball game. This is Classical Voice. It's a whole new world for me. I have begun making friends in this new world and I like it. They are just as wonderful as my band friends, but it's just a different part of the "musical world". I feel like I'm branching out into a whole new area. The old area, I know very well, but this new area is exciting for me and I am looking forward to meeting more people in the classical realm of music. It's just something completely different for me. I sang classical Choral music through out high school and we attended competitions and festivals, and I Loved it. But then, after graduation that world ended for me and a whole different musical world opened up. Bands, clubs, studios, songwriters, musicians, gigs..it was thrilling. But now at 45, this classical world, which is just beginning, is just as thrilling for me. I praise God for this opportunity! Though the learning is a long road, it's exciting to look ahead and to take in every moment. I truly feel like this is where I'm supposed to be right now. Thanks you, Jesus for your leading!

1 comment: