Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Voice Lesson #31... First Time Since Surgery..and Judge's Comments!

Decked out in sweat pants, because it's all I can wear right now, I happily went to my lesson, today! It was my first one since I had my surgery. I couldn't wait! I missed it so much! It was great to see my teacher and catch up on things, and to be taught again! I was really surprised that my singing wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think my teacher was surprised, too. I had only been practicing for a little over a week, on a regular basis, which means that I didn't sing for almost three weeks! It was not easy to get back into it. My voice did not want to cooperate with me..not to mention my lower abs had very little strength. It's been difficult to engage for breath support and control, but it's getting better. The more I heal, the stronger they get. It was a great lesson, as usual though, but extra special because I had been away for so long.. Now, I know festival was last month, but yesterday was the first time I got to see the judges sheet for my performance. I did not have my glasses with me, so my teacher read me the comments...I was really very surprised! There are certain categories that you're judged in and for each of them you are given a plus or minus. I got only one minus, which was under breath support. This did not surprise me at all. This is an area where I need a lot of improvement. I was however, very surprised that I got plus marks in everything else. The comments were all great except for a couple, which were helpful, for sure! I could not believe that this judge, who is a wonderful opera singer and has sung professionally, around the world, gave me such great comments! I was happy, too, that she was very specific. Now, believe me, I know that I have a lot of improvements to make and a lot to learn, but this was definitely encouraging! I sure hope I made my teacher proud! All the glory to God for allowing me to have such a great teacher, and for giving to her such talent, knowledge, and ability to teach. My teacher has an amazing voice and truthfully, if I can someday sing just half as well as she does, I will be thrilled! Praise God, for the life He has given me and the people He has put in it! I am blessed beyond measure!

No comments:

Post a Comment