Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Week Two, Post Op... No Singing Yet

So, had a wonderful time at the NFMC festival, and received a Superior rating...incredible! Then I had surgery and I'm on my second week of no singing. I can take the pain and the boredom, but it's the not signing that's driving me nuts! My doctor did not give me any restrictions concerning singing, but I have tried and my abs are not yet ready to engage. I have spoken to a couple of ladies on a Hysterectomy thread who are classical singers and they said it was at least three weeks before they began easing their way back into it. I am planning on trying again, this week. I have given a couple of vocalises a try, but I can't get very far. Not only is it painful, but I do not want to risk hurting myself. I have severe lifting restrictions and I know that strain on the abs, no matter where it comes from, is not good at this point. I have an appointment with my Doc this week and will ask her about it. I will explain in greater detail, the role that the abdominals play in classical voice technique, and see what she says. I certainly want to heal correctly the first time, but not being able to practice is the worst part of this! I know that probably sounds crazy, considering I had major surgery and have who knows how many stitches, internally..but singing and music is what I do..it's my thing and I miss it. It's going to take a little time to ease back into it, too. But as soon as I can I will, and I won't give up! I am hoping too, that by the time I get back to my lessons, which hopefully won't be too long, I will be able to show my teacher what I can really do, and not just somewhat. She is an outstanding teacher and deserves to hear what her teaching is doing for my singing. I want so much to be good at this and it may be taking me longer than some, but I will not give up..I will keep on, keeping on and eventually, be the best darn classical singer I can be! Before my surgery my teacher told that I would be fine, because God is on my side..she was right and He is also on my side with voice. He led me into it and will continue to lead me just as He's done with my surgery and everything else in my life! I am nothing without Him. I thank and praise Him, everyday, for all He does for me! Thank you, Jesus! Hopefully, by the time I post here, again, I will be back into my practicing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment