Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Being Teachable...

In the three weeks that I have been taking voice, I have realized something. I've realized that there are three people that I am completely vulnerable and uninhibited with...One of them is my husband, Jeff, and one of them is my voice teacher, (all the ladies should know who the third one is). I was telling this to Jeff the other day, and being the former high school/college football player that he is, he said, that's what makes a person coach-able. I couldn't agree more! However, there is one other thing that makes a person "coach-able", and that is being able to admit to yourself that you know nothing or very little, and NEED a teacher in order to become the best that you can be in whatever it is you're involved in...football, voice...whatever. When I was 18 I took voice for a short time, but I wouldn't and couldn't admit to myself that I needed to learn, which in turn, caused me to be inhibited, and consequently, unteachable. I regret that now. I just wasn't in a space though, where I felt I needed help with my singing, after all, I was going to be a rock star, so who needed to learn technique or classical anything, right? Well, let me tell you, everyone who wants to sing should know technique..it's what's going to allow you to not only sing well, whatever type of music you get in to, but most importantly, it's going to allow you to keep your voice for a lifetime. Singing without proper technique has made a lot of people a lot of money, but in the long run, it will undoubtedly destroy their voices..it's just not worth it, in my opinion. So, if you sing or you aspire to, do yourself a favor and find a qualified voice teacher, who knows what she's doing. But first and foremost, you've got to admit that you NEED a teacher..and then allow yourself to be vulnerable with her..THAT is the beginning of great technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment