Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Monday, June 17, 2013

Voice Lesson #5

Today was voice lesson #5. I seem to myself to have made about an atom's worth of improvement, from last week. My teacher said, however, that I am getting it and WILL get it. She is always so positive..I love that! No matter how horrible I sound, she always has something good and constructive to say. She really is an excellent teacher..and I am trying to be an excellent student, though the results are slow. But that is no reflection on her..it's all me. I am having trouble mostly, at this point, with keeping tension out of my throat and neck. The sound MUST come from below. I get that, intellectually, but executing it is a whole different matter. She told me today that it does take a long time. She said, even singers with no previous singing experience have a hard time with it, because the natural tendency is to want to sing everything in the chest voice, which is improper technique. So, me, having a lifetime of singing experience, and singing everything in my chest voice, I have an even MORE difficult time with this concept. But again, she assures me that I WILL get it..and I trust her. She is the expert. We did some different exercises today, a bit more difficult were some of them. We also worked on the tongue and did some exercises for that. The beginning of training it to do things it doesn't naturally want to do. We went over vowels, too. We talked about the "EE" vowel, which is the most difficult for me, especially in one of the songs I'm learning. She demonstrated how the "EE" should sound when done properly..WOW, you should've heard that note! Amazing! I can only hope to sing at that caliber some day. So, to sum it up, I am still struggling, yet still incredibly determined to learn this and do it properly and sound great when I do it. Like I always say, with Jesus and a great teacher, I can't fail! Oh, and the good news..I didn't delete my lesson, today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment