Songs of Joy - My Journey In Classical Voice

Friday, June 28, 2013

Some Good Observations During Voice Practice...

If you read my last lesson post, you'd know that my teacher is taking the next two weeks off for some much deserved rest, but in the mean time, I will post what I observe during my practice sessions. I've been taking lessons now for just about 7 weeks. The first couple of weeks I was practicing 40 minutes or so, each day. From the third week on, I was practicing a good hour, everyday. For the past two weeks or more, I have been doing a good hour and a half, everyday. The first couple of weeks I was finding myself very hoarse after 40 minutes, during the third week I noticed a small improvement. However, now, at 7 weeks, going for an hour and a half, each day, I am finding that I have very little to no hoarseness. This is huge!! It tells me that even though I am not doing everything correctly yet, I am improving and doing things closer to correct, than I was previously. I also noticed something yesterday that I hadn't noticed before. I always use a mirror when practicing and also at my lessons, per my teacher. It's a great tool!! So, I was practicing yesterday and noticed that when I sing certain vowels and as my pitch raises, my tongue backs up, which in turn raises my larynx, which creates throat tension. (Consonants cause tension too, but that's for another day). We have been working on throat and tongue tension quite a bit, but I had not noticed this before, like I did yesterday. My teacher already knows that my tongue is backing up, but for me to SEE it, was a good thing. I made some notes (questions) to talk to her about at our next lesson. I think that if we can resolve this tongue tension, it will greatly help with the throat, as well. These observations may not sound like much, but for me, they are huge! I think at this rate, I will have two pages of questions and observations for her by the time I see her again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment